[Cryptography] Anonymous rendezvous (was Business opportunities in crypto)

jrzx jrzx at protonmail.ch
Fri May 7 19:11:27 EDT 2021

> > On Thursday, May 6, 2021 2:08 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker
> > <phill at hallambaker.com> wrote:
> > > The WebPKI was designed to do two things:
> > >
> > > 1) Allow a party with an established reputation to claim it on the Web.
> > > 2) To allow a party with no reputation to establish that they are
> > > accountable to some civil authority.

> On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 7:43 AM jrzx <jrzx at protonmail.ch> wrote:
> > And sometimes you would rather be able to deal with entities *not*
> > accountable to some civil authority, because the civil authority wants
> > to tax, regulate and forbid what you want to do.
> >
> > Observe the rise of crypto currency exchanges that go to considerable
> > lengths to avoid regulation, DEX and DeFi

On Friday, May 7, 2021 9:55 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker
<phill at hallambaker.com> wrote:
> Which is not surprising given the rate at which the operators of said
> exchanges take the money and run.

This is the opposite of the truth.

Exchanges accountable to some civil authority are dangerous because they
hold custody of the private secrets corresponding to the public keys of
your crypto coins.

Because of the collapse of elite virtue, Civil Authority *requires* them to
do so.

Distributed exchanges, obviously, do not hold your secrets. Coins in a
distributed exchange are sitting in my wallet, on my physical hardware.

Certification attaches the reputation of the civil authority to your name,
and the reputation of civil authority is bad and every day getting worse,
faster and faster.