[Cryptography] Anonymous rendezvous (was Business opportunities in crypto)

jrzx jrzx at protonmail.ch
Wed May 5 02:13:58 EDT 2021

On Tuesday, May 4, 2021 8:50 AM, Jerry Leichter via cryptography <cryptography at metzdowd.com> wrote:
> This is where all kinds of discussions about pseudonyms go south. Yes, the
> system can be constructed so that I'm sure I'm communicating with some
> particular pseudonym - and further I can be sure that a series of communications
> are to "the same" pseudonym (where "the same" means "in possession of
> some particular secret"). All that's fine (and very useful) as long as you "live"
> in the virtual world. But it's precisely in binding that virtual world to the real
> world that we have problems.

If you buy physical stuff on the basis of NewEgg reviews, you will make pretty good buys.

If NewEgg and its reviewers were strongly pseudonymous, and their product links
were hashes to immutable data or a third party signature to mutable data, it would
work even better.

Having CA authorities in the middle does not make the connection to the real world
better, it makes it worse.

NewEgg has meta reputation for good curation of reviews, and reviews on NewEgg
have reputation by being on NewEgg. What curation do CAs do?