[Cryptography] Anonymous rendezvous (was Business opportunities in crypto)

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Tue May 4 12:03:25 EDT 2021

On 5/2/21 at 1:06 PM, leichter at lrw.com (Jerry Leichter) wrote:

>What exactly is "reputation" if not (a) an implicit
>communication through intermediaries to deliver information
>about the party involved; (b) trusted third parties:  You are
>trusting their evaluations.  Zero for two.

There is another form of reputation which comes from repeated
contact over time. If I place orders for goods or services with
an anonymous party, and I get good service, that party builds a
good reputation. Let's say I know this anonymous party by
demonstrations that is holds the private key associated with a
public key I know.

I can share that public key with a group that can pool its
experiences to build trust in this anonymous party. After a
while, the anonymous party may achieve quite a high reputation.

Where this system falls down is in the temptation for the
anonymous party to cash in its reputation capital. There is an
actual example of this behaviour from the 1960s.

In those days, the importers of Japanese cameras used trademark
and exclusive imports agreements to maintain their pricing
margins. As as result, Hong Kong prices for cameras were much
lower than US prices.

There was a company in Hong Kong -- the name I remember was
T.M.Chang -- which operated an international mail-order
operation for cameras. When I ordered a Nikon F body, the body
arrived without a nameplate -- avoiding the trademark issue --
and the nameplate arrived in a normal letter envelope, arriving
"under the radar".

T.M.Chan developed a very favorable reputation. Then, while it
still accepted orders and payments, it stopped shipping. After
1/2 to 3/4 of a year, people tried to track it down and it had
disappeared. They cashed in their reputation capital.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | If you want total security, go to prison.
There you're
408-348-7900       | fed, clothed, given medical care and so on.
The only
www.pwpconsult.com | thing lacking is freedom. - Dwight D. Eisenhower