[Cryptography] The agency that came in out of the cold

Robert Wilson wilson at math.wisc.edu
Sun May 2 20:54:11 EDT 2021

Reminded by the "NSA ex-Top Secret Umbra document": A couple of decades
ago, at the annual national meeting of the American Mathematical Society
(and the then more separate Mathematical Association of America), there
was a talk titled something very close to "The Agency That Came in Out
of the Cold". I cannot even remember which year. I'd like to be able to
get back to that, e.g. if there were a copy of the talk in one of the
AMS journals, but so far have not found such. Any leads? It was
completely open to the world (other than having to come to the meeting).

I was very much reminded of it by the discussion of relations between
the agency and academia, in that paper. Many of my friends were on the
academic side of that debate, but at the same time many of them still
feel they should not talk about that work.
Bob Wilson