[Cryptography] Clarification: The NSA ex- Top Secret Umbra document cited yesteday

Tony Patti crypto at glassblower.info
Sat May 1 15:19:59 EDT 2021

> John Young wrote:
> Clarification: The NSA ex-Top Secret Umbra document cited yesterday is
from the NSA journal "Cryptologic Quarterly,"
> titled as shown on the image below (not the file name),
> likely NSA author redacted, circa 1983 (154 footnotes dated 1977-1983).
Last page shows source dated 1991.
> https://cryptome.org/2021/04/Joseph-Meyer-IEEE-1977.pdf

Hello John,

I do not believe what you wrote about the article "NSA Comes out of the
Closet: The Debate over Public Cryptography in the Inman Era" from the NSA
journal "Cryptologic Quarterly being circa 1983  is accurate.

This Cryptologic Quarterly article was from Volume 15 No. 1 (Spring 1996) of
Cryptologic Quarterly. The two public internet sources which confirm that
are:

- footnote 120 of
https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB441/docs/doc%206%20%202008-021%20Bur
r%20Release%20Document%202%20-%20Part%20C.pdf  (PDF page 55)

- https://cryptocellar.org/NSA/nsa_cq_1982-96.pdf (PDF page 30)

Additionally, Footnote 10 of the "NSA Comes out of the Closet" article is
dated July 1995, so could not have been published earlier than that.

I reported the above facts yesterday in the LinkedIn Group "Cryptographers
and Cryptanalysts" (which I founded and manage) at
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/3901854/

Tony Patti
crypto at glassblower.info