[Cryptography] block size / block cipher versus stream cipher

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Mar 31 16:29:59 EDT 2021

On 2021-03-31 19:35:27 +0000 (+0000), jrzx via cryptography wrote:
[...]
> No one is using eight bit CPUs any more. The smallest SoC you can
> readily lay your hands is the thing the Rasberry pi pico is built
> around
>
> The Rasberry Pi pico is 32 bits, dual core $4.00 in single unit
> quantities.
>
> Suggested use, turning on a lightbulb.
>
> Even if they are just turning on a lightbulb, they load an entire
> linux derived operating system to do it.
[...]

I call bullshit. I still build things with 8-bit Atmel AVR
microcontrollers which communicate over USB, chip costs <us$3 in
single quantities from hobbyist resellers (far less in bulk from
real electronics resellers) and doesn't run anything like a
full-blown kernel much less operating system. And even that's
overkill for things like basic switching control.
--
Jeremy Stanley