[Cryptography] Apple's iCloud+ "VPN"

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Tue Jun 29 05:37:09 EDT 2021

> On Jun 28, 2021, at 11:12 PM, Jerry Leichter <leichter at lrw.com> wrote:
>
>>> Interesting initiative and as said, moving the kind of relatively obscure stuff like that which Tor does to the mainstream with low friction ought provoke some movement elsewhere.
>>
>> For better or worse, yes.  I’m not sure people recognize just how much this will affect performance, though.  It’s not pretty.  Regular Tor users know what I’m talking about; this isn’t particularly better.
> I don't think we can really say what the effect will be.

Sorry, I was unclear, I was focusing specifically upon the domain name resolution portion, which is the portion I care about, and I am in a position to say what the performance is.

> of course this is in a situation where there are at most tens of thousands of beta users.  What will happen when there are hundreds of millions

You are radically overestimating the number of users.  This service applies only to paid iCloud subscribers who opt in.

> Given the large number of very well-connected POP's both parties have, it's quite possible that the effective diameter might end up lower.

No, that is not possible.  Tromboning a path through two additional points cannot make the path shorter.

                                -Bill