[Cryptography] Apple's iCloud+ "VPN"

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jun 24 18:26:05 EDT 2021

On 2021-06-24 15:14:39 -0700 (-0700), Christian Huitema wrote:
[...]
> Can users evade that by running their own DNS resolvers? Maybe,
> but they have better be smart about it because ISPs could also
> block port 53, the same way they blocked home SMTP servers on port
> 25.

Users can also get around it the old-fashioned way. In the days
before DNS we just copied a hosts file from machine to machine in
order to share which addresses corresponded to which systems. That
was abandoned because the list got too long and was a pain to keep
centrally updated, but if all you need to augment your name
resolution is a handful of entries, that's pretty trivial for people
to distribute. Update mechanisms could easily be baked into tools
built on top of popular P2P file sharing networks to get around
governments shutting down some specific site hosting the index.

But apologies, this has more to do with politics than cryptography;
I fear I'm veering a bit off-topic.
--
Jeremy Stanley