[Cryptography] Apple's iCloud+ "VPN"

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Wed Jun 23 03:59:18 EDT 2021

> On Jun 23, 2021, at 6:31 AM, Liam Ayr via cryptography <cryptography at metzdowd.com> wrote:
> It is possible the public resolvers have to adhere to the regulations in the jurisdictions they operate, but unsure.

Sony Music made the first move in that fight last Friday.

https://torrentfreak.com/sony-wins-pirate-site-blocking-order-against-dns-resolver-quad9-210621/

Our individual donations are up 900% since Friday, and Eco (the German Internet association) are covering a significant chunk of the legal defense, but right now there’s a nominal liability of EUR 250,000 per query stacking up, and Sony has hired services to send queries and record the fact that they were responded to.

It’s particularly annoying, since we do cybersecurity and privacy, and this copyright-troll nonsense is supposed to be not our monkeys, not our circus.  But it appears to have pitched its tent on our doorstep.

                                -Bill