[Cryptography] "Practical Construction and Analysis of Pseudo-Randomness Primitives"

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Fri Jun 18 09:34:00 EDT 2021

Given all the discussion of randomness and pseudo randomness that's appeared on this list, when the following happened to cross my mail reader, I thought there might be some interest:

https://www.academia.edu/25741083/Practical_Construction_and_Analysis_of_Pseudo_Randomness_Primitives?email_work_card=title

"Abstract: We give a careful, fixed-size parameter analysis of a standard (Blum and Micali in SIAM J. Comput. 13(4):850–864, 1984; Goldreich and Levin in Proceedings of 21st ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pp. 25–32, 1989) way to form a pseudo-random generator from a one-way function and then pseudo-random functions from said generator (Goldreich et al. in J. Assoc. Comput. Mach. 33(4):792–807, 1986) While the analysis is done in the model of exact security, we improve known bounds also asymptotically when many bits are output each round and we find all auxiliary parameters efficiently, giving a uniform result. These optimizations makes the analysis effective even for security parameters/key-sizes supported by typical block ciphers and hash functions. This enables us to construct very practical pseudo-random generators with strong properties based on plausible assumptions"

I've only glanced at the paper so far.
                                                        -- Jerry