[Cryptography] Cryptic crossword with cryptography theme...

Michael Nelson nelson_mikel at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 2 18:18:21 EDT 2021

The Guardian newspaper has a British-style cryptic crossword in it that on Monday had a cryptography "theme". Here it is, in case anyone is interested.
https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/cryptic/28459Explanation, fwiw:
https://www.fifteensquared.net/2021/05/31/guardian-cryptic-28459-by-brendan
I thought I'd mention one clue for those not familiar with cryptic crosswords.

18 across:
Secrecy measure unknown in Princeton, strangely (10)

The letters known after solving the vertical words crossing it:
_N_R_P_I_N

Not hard to get the answer from all those cross letters! But it is mildly diverting to work out why. The most common type of clue has a dividing point in the middle somewhere, with a normal literal/synonym clue on one side, and a construction for the answer on the other. The "use-mention" distinction is happily ignored.

As for being on topic... I'll mention that during WWII, the Brits used a cryptic crossword to choose some people to invite for their code breaking effort, unbeknownst to the people at the time. I read that one woman solved the crossword far faster than anyone else, but made one mistake and was not invited. I could not but think that they might have missed out on a genius.
Mike