[Cryptography] Shortening block cipher length...

Patrick Chkoreff pc at fexl.com
Tue Jul 20 08:45:14 EDT 2021

Peter Gutmann wrote on 7/20/21 1:10 AM:

>> I wonder if DJB's philosophy regarding your points there is simply:
>
> ... "when I use this, I know what I'm doing".

I believe in the case of NaCl, "knowing what you're doing" is simply this:

0. Do not reuse a nonce.
1. Do not reuse a nonce.

> Unfortunately everyone else isn't DJB, and frequently gets it wrong.  To
> paraphrase an old paper on formal methods "stream ciphers are perfectly safe
> when implemented and applied by geniuses.  Unfortunately, geniuses are in
> short supply".

Does one have to be a genius to read 24 bytes from /dev/urandom?

On the other hand, maybe you'd say one would have to be an idiot to read
24 bytes from /dev/urandom.  Or more mildly:  one should never use any
cipher that requires a random nonce whose reuse will compromise
security, not even one designed by DJB.

-- Patrick