[Cryptography] Request for a second opinion

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Fri Jul 9 22:12:08 EDT 2021

On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 9:15 PM Tushar Patel <tjpatel.tl at gmail.com> wrote:

> For some time, the CA browser forum has been using CAs that have the
> extended key usage as "TLS Web Server Authentication, TLS Web Client".
>
> However, I feel that this can lead to an attack, though CAs can be
> trusted, the authority for the CA should be the validation of the leaf
> certificate having the same flags. Yes, one could assume that the CA will
> safeguard the private key, however, there are cases in which duplicates
> could be generated and then used (at some later date).
>
> In the case of SSO, this might be okay, however, in the case of passwords,
> it could be extremely risky.
>
> What do you think?
> a. Request a change to CA browser policy?
> b. Will it be okay to support such CA certs?

If you are using passwords for security, the security of your CA is the
least of your problems.

I am not aware of there ever being significant differences in management of
root keys for different purposes by any CA. VeriSign Class 1 keys used the
same technology as Class 3.

A CA issued cert is merely an assertion that the key holder has been
validated as holding the right to the specified subject name and attributes
according to the policy and practices specified.

Requirements of the form 'this type of certificate must not be used for X'
are invariably junk. As long as the practices are sufficient to establish
the subject identity for the specified purpose, there is no problem.

CAs do have terms of use etc which may constrain use. But this notion of
separate hierarchies for separate purposes and policing off-label uses
outside the WebPKI is completely bogus.

There seems to be an anti-competitive agenda going on here. Certain
companies should consult their anti-trust lawyers now rather than laying up
yet more pain when the storm hits.