[Cryptography] A Thought Experiment: Proof of Satoshi

Osman Kuzucu bizbucaliyiz at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 22 10:24:56 EST 2021

Gönderen: bit <bit at ungeared.com> adına cryptography <cryptography-bounces+bizbucaliyiz=hotmail.com at metzdowd.com>
Gönderildi: 21 Ocak 2021 Perşembe 00:16
Kime: cryptography at metzdowd.com <cryptography at metzdowd.com>
Konu: [Cryptography] A Thought Experiment: Proof of Satoshi

Since I don’t believe that a cryptographic signature or a transfer would constitute definitive proof (let me clarify my position, I do believe that such actions would present a very strong claim, just not bulletproof), what would?  Let’s have a thought experiment, we are approached by X who claims to be Satoshi, privately they have presented us with convincing enough evidence to take them seriously and now, they are asking our advice on how to reveal themselves to the world without recreating Craig Wright’s ensued bedlam?

 What do we know about satoshi? His e-mail was hacked, and other social media account of his also could be hacked too. You mentioned that the cryptographic signature can't be bulletproof too, so what else would be? Since we don't know anything about who he was, or he didn't have any witnesses at the time he deployed Bitcoin (who could verify his identity) and no one came forward so far, I believe at this point we can't take anything as a bulletproof.

Also, the chances of his cryptographic keys getting leaked is less than someone impersonating his writing style to be claimed as Satoshi. I believe now there is no bulletproof way of knowing who they were. Only exception could be if he didn't use a VPN, the IP logs of the first bitcoin node could be retrieved or maybe some logs on the bitcointalk could be searched from the ISP to reveal his identity.