[Cryptography] Standards Trolls: Re: Bitcoin is a disaster.

Bill Stewart billstewart at pobox.com
Wed Jan 13 20:59:32 EST 2021

On 1/12/2021 9:33 PM, Bertrand Mollinier Toublet wrote:
>> On Jan 12, 2021, at 1:54 PM, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
>> The commmunity where
>> people consider it a feature that a lost password means your bitcoins
>> are lost forever is not large:
..
> I will admit, sheepishly, that I am a member of that community, however. No gazillions stuck behind the forgotten password, but still, a sizable enough chunk of cash given the current BTC rates…
> Thankfully, I had invested early, so it’s not so many USD sunk into this.

I am too, but both the wallets I've lost access to only had dogecoins in
them, many wow, not much sad.
One of them was a lab machine doing CPU mining just to see how it
worked, and something worth a millionth of a bitcoin means there's
really no financial conflict of interest at $DAYJOB, and eventually it
needed reformatting; the other was a phone app running DogeRain, where
people throw dogecoins around just for fun, don't remember why that
died.  The loss happened after somebody somehow surreptitiously acquired
enough Dogecoin to make it worth something, so my losses probably added
up to 25 cents or so instead of the fractional penny they should have
been worth.