[Cryptography] An academic paper on Bitcoin's energy consumption

Ismail Kizir ikizir at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 05:33:42 EST 2021

I hope, this will be the last message I will write about the subject.
But if we believe in science, this paper gives good numbers, with solid and
reliable references. I will also give the link below. But first, let me
make some quotations:

The dependence of nearly 80% of the world’s energy consumption on fossil
fuels and that this situation is not likely to change in the future
The above figure shows the pattern of energy consumption throughout 2017
for Bitcoin transactions, where consumption tendency has risen
exponentially towards the end of 2017. In Power Compare’s report, it is
stated that by the end of 2017 Bitcoin had used up more electricity than
150 countries (Holthaus, 2017) and that it had consumed 462 MW of energy to
ensure the security of the blockchain system (Hileman and Rauchs, 2017). If
Bitcoin’s energy consumption rate increases as shown in Figure 3, it is
expected that Bitcoin will use more electricity than the UK by October
2018. It is further predicted that by July 2019 it will equal the US’ total
energy consumption, and by February 2020 equal global energy consumption
(Power Compare, 2017).

Please, please read and think about it, seriously and objectively:

https://dergipark.org.tr/en/download/article-file/641972

Regards
Ismail Kizir