[Cryptography] QM giveth, QM taketh away

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Tue Feb 16 14:11:54 EST 2021

Henry Baker wrote this message on Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 08:05 -0800:
> 2. Quantum key distribution supposedly enables guaranteed
> private distribution of OTP keys.

Kinda surprised no one mentioned this, but QKD requires a shared key
material (either symetric or asymetric) to be distributed to the end
points first before you can start passing keys...  You need both the
quantum channel, but also a way to securely transmit the states that
were observed to the other party, and agree what those states mean...

QKD still uses a lot of traditional crypto to carry out it's operation,
so it's not as pure as some people think..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579