[Cryptography] Low grade randomness for padding.

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Thu Feb 11 17:42:17 EST 2021

On 2/11/21 4:50 AM, Kristian Gjøsteen wrote:
> I want to emphasise padding with zeros as the obviously correct answer.
>
> If padding with zero gives you a problem, padding with zero is not your actual problem.

That seems the pedantic assertion of someone proposing a bet. Designed
to be accurate without being illuminating. ("Nah, don't illuminate too
soon, the chump won't take my bet if I explain myself!")

What about traffic analysis? The size of the the packets can reveal a
lot. Padding with random data could hide that. Why is that a sin?

Please be illuminating.

-kb