[Cryptography] Signal hypothetical use case becomes practical since cellular providers have started censoring private text messages

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Fri Dec 31 21:47:38 EST 2021

On 12/31/21 21:28, Sven Semmler wrote:
> On 12/31/21 11:32 AM, Ron Garret wrote:
>> Personally, i think it’s a good thing that the telecoms are censoring it
>
> So censorship is fine as long as you personally agree with it?

In the sense that I prefer that bullets fired by someone intending to
commit murder should fall short of their marks, yes.

The first amendment (if you are American) has limits.  It does not
protect speech that is intended to cause death or which will foreseeably
cause death, for one thing.  If such speech gets censored, it is because
the same standards apply as when someone shouts "FIRE" in a crowded
movie theatre while there is no fire.

Also, "agreement" flatly doesn't matter on this topic any more. There is
no real controversy, and the fake controversy is costing lives.  There
is "true" and there is "false" and promoting confusion about which is
which at this point is pernicious, reckless, and quite likely actionable
in large wrongful death settlements.

It is quite likely that the providers in question want to stay out of
class action wrongful death lawsuits.  It would seem to be a good
business choice, anyway.

Bear