[Cryptography] Signal hypothetical use case becomes practical since cellular providers have started censoring private text messages

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Fri Dec 31 18:12:11 EST 2021

-----Original Message-----
From: John Levine
Sent: Dec 31, 2021 1:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Cryptography] Signal hypothetical use case becomes practical since cellular providers have started censoring private text messages

It appears that Ron Garret said:
>> Recently, I heard a very concerning thing: If you share this link via unencrypted SMS on t-mobile, it won't go through: ...
>That link points to a site that contains false information that has the potential to quite literally kill thousands upon thousands of people if acted upon. ...

I happen to agree with Ron here, but my guess is that T-Mo is doing spam filtering, not making political statements.

For anyone who's been living under a rock. SMS spam is a huge problem, and recognizing domains that
have appeared in spam before, of whatever kind, is a fairly reliable way to recognize more spam so
they can block it.

R's,
John

PS: If anyone were thinking of arguing that all spam filtering is evil, please don't.

---
I'd be thrilled if T-Mobile would start blocking SMS messages that *take over people's phones* (NSO, NSA, cough, cough).

For some reason, the SMS 'number' blocking code on Android is buggy as heck; the number blocking process itself keeps crashing, which makes me feel that it's only a matter of time before someone exploits these crashes.