[Cryptography] Source code that looks like completely different source code

Dan McDonald danmcd at kebe.com
Mon Dec 13 09:41:27 EST 2021

On Dec 12, 2021, at 8:07 PM, Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> wrote:

> I don't know whether this is 'steganography' as commonly understood, but
> the idea of hiding one message in what appears to be another seems to be
> relevant, as does the threat to digital security.

This broke a few weeks ago.

I know that Rust (recently mentioned here in another thread) added compiler support to thwart bidirectional redirects at compile time:

	https://blog.rust-lang.org/2021/11/01/cve-2021-42574.html#mitigations

AIUI one's editor, or one's editor settings, may make a difference here as well. I added this to my .emacs around that time:

	(setq bidi-display-reordering nil)

It's a clever attack vector, to be sure.

Dan