[Cryptography] What ever happened to end-to-end email encryption?

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 09:57:24 EDT 2021

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 5:31 PM R Perlman <radiajpc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Despite PGP and S/MIME having been designed zillions of years ago, it
> seems like end-to-end email encryption/integrity protection are not widely
> used. Which of the following is reasonably close to the truth?
>
>    - Of course they are widely used. I'm just not aware.

>    - Something else?
>
> Thanks,
> Radia Perlman

The answer is Something else.

In reality, when a big email provider starts working on e2e email
encryption, someone in government has a friendly conversation with some
lobbyist or high level manager, and it is made clear that congress will
step in with regulations to overturn e2e email if widely enabled.

There may be a middle ground <https://arxiv.org/abs/1906.07841> in the
future.  I know the hysterical folks on this list would hate it, but it
would be better than what we have now.