[Cryptography] What ever happened to end-to-end email encryption?

Christian Huitema huitema at huitema.net
Sun Aug 22 00:27:18 EDT 2021

On 8/21/2021 10:41 AM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

>>     - Even individual users need middleboxes to scan for spam and other
>>     services (such as maybe warning about dangerous links)
> Yes.

Maybe. I receive lots of spam, but so far I have not received any
encrypted spam. That would not be hard, spammers could retrieve my PGP
key from a number of key databases. But they don't bother, and I wonder
why. Is it because the users of something like PGP are somehow so smart
that the spam  will immediately be rejected? Or is it because as PHB
says, it would reach maybe just 0.05% of the global email market, and
that would not be profitable? But if the latter, wouldn't encrypted
email be a wonderful channel for a spear-phishing attack?

-- Christian Huitema