[Cryptography] How crypto killed Admiral Yamamoto

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Mon Apr 19 22:57:46 EDT 2021

On 4/18/21 at 6:38 AM, bear at sonic.net (Ray Dillinger) wrote:

>The Japanese are believed to have underestimated the availability of
>American cryptographers familiar with the Japanese language.  But we
>were then as we still are today, 'A Nation Of Immigrants'.   However
>badly we may have treated Japanese-Americans during the war, recruiting
>and training cryptographers familiar with that language was not a
>show-stopping problem.

My brother-in-law's father-in-law was interned at Tule Lake
during WW2. Like most people interred there, his bigest desire
was to show his loyalty to the US. He ended up serving in Europe
and then going to Japan after hostilities were over to act as a translater.

For the geeks among us: Later in life, he worked on video
recorders for Ampex and lived in Palo Alto.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        |"After all, if the conventional wisdom was
working, the
408-348-7900       | rate of systems being compromised would be
going down,
www.pwpconsult.com | wouldn't it?" -- Marcus Ranum