[Cryptography] How crypto killed Admiral Yamamoto

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Apr 17 18:19:22 EDT 2021

On this day in 1943, Admiral Yamamoto (the architect of the Pearl Harbor
attack) was shot down by a squadron of P-38 Lightnings that just
"happened" to be loitering in the area at their extreme range where he was
known to be (the Japanese had a thing about punctuality).

I think that it was "Purple" that was broken?  In any case, there was some
debate about whether to shoot him down (thereby revealing that their
crypto had been broken) or let him go (thereby keeping the secret); well,
we know what happened next...

I believe that his "Betty" bomber slammed into a tree at about 100 mph
(along with his aircraft chair), and was identifiable by his teeth and his
Samurai sword.

-- Dave