[Cryptography] Business opportunities in crypto

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Wed Apr 14 16:58:10 EDT 2021

On 4/14/21 12:37 AM, Christian Huitema wrote:
> Anonymous rendezvous is a vexing problem.

When you put it that way, it sounds pretty impossible.

To rendezvous anonymously, with the intended target and not some random
bloke, seems there needs to be some out-of-band agreement as to this
identity and expectation. (In blind-date terms: "Meet me in front of
City Hall at 2. I'll be carrying a copy of Applied Cryptography, first
edition. Ask me 'Can you spare a nonce?'".)

In wifi terms it sounds like a temporary SSID that is communicated
out-of-band. By a value said out loud (maybe a QR code to get too
fancy). Minimal vexation.

If the problem is repeated anonymous rendezvous (like having a habit of
going to deep-cover costume balls and still wanting to find a favorite
squeeze), then it still sounds like an out-of-band agreement, but one
that can be recycled in a way predictable to the other, ball after ball.
I can imagine some approaches here…

But at this point I want to know more about the practical problem being
solved. I mean, I don't think people do ad-hoc networks much at all. Why
are they interested in this case, why can't one say a randomly generated
SSID, and what other constraints are they under? Plenty of vexation in
these parts.

-kb, the Kent who has always found Linux ad-hoc wireless networking
setup software badly crafted and cumbersome; something that can't be
setup and made to work by a normal person.