[Cryptography] passwords, or not

Stephan Neuhaus stephan.neuhaus at zhaw.ch
Tue Apr 6 03:43:46 EDT 2021

On 4/6/21 7:28 AM, John Denker via cryptography wrote:
> On 4/5/21 4:27 PM, Jerry Leichter wrote:
>
>> We're still a long way from eliminating passwords and the problem of
>> how to make them as effective as possible remains.
>
> Can somebody please explain, how far away are we, really?
> What's the hold-up?

Passwords have many problems and many technically excellent replacements
have been proposed. But: users, by and large, understand passwords.  In
my opinion, this can not be said about their proposed (again, often
technically excellent) replacements. Or at least it will take some more
time until they are. And that, I think, is the hold-up.

I have seen the Death of Passwords(tm) announced so often that I'm no
longer holding my breath. It may be that they will be replaced by
something better Real Soon Now(tm), or it may never be. Until they are,
I'll help make them as effective as possible.

Fun

Stephan