[Cryptography] A naming and key distribution infrastructure for the Mesh

Christian Huitema huitema at huitema.net
Mon Sep 28 15:49:37 EDT 2020

On 9/28/2020 9:30 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 2:01 AM Peter Fairbrother <peter at tsto.co.uk
> <mailto:peter at tsto.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     I did not own zen.co.uk <http://zen.co.uk>, but I now own
>     tsto.co.uk <http://tsto.co.uk> - or at least
>     exclusively rent it from ICANN/Nominet/my registrar or whoever with a
>     sort-of guarantee that as long as I pay the rent I can't be evicted.
>

> No, you don't own it. You rent it. That is the difference between a
> Mesh name and an ICANN name.

Is that difference large enough for people to care? Peter own his domain
name until he fails to pay the rent, or until someone sues him out of
ownership. You own a mesh name until you lose control of the secret key
that certifies ownership. I am not sure which of the two events has the
highest probability. Domain name law suits do happen, but they are quite
rare if the name is as obscure as tsto.co.uk <http://tsto.co.uk>. Is
that more likely to happen than, say, a virus causing loss of the disk
memory, or a physical failure of the backup media? Ransomware attacks
show that people do lose their data quite often. In any case, both types
of events are quite rare. Not sure that actual users bother.

-- Christian Huitema