[Cryptography] A naming and key distribution infrastructure for the Mesh

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Mon Sep 28 12:18:38 EDT 2020

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 1:53 AM Salz, Rich via cryptography <
cryptography at metzdowd.com> wrote:

> *>* I must say that nobody seems to have raised the expected objections.
> So folk are ok with the basic structure I am proposing, thats fine.
>

> You have been around long enough to know that it’s not right to admit the
> third option: nobody cares enough to comment.

Well nobody cared about the Web either until it took over the world. Tim
came into my office one morning to say he had been asked to give the
keynote at the Hypertext conference that rejected his paper only the year
before.

People seem to care about breaches of data in the cloud. Threshold is the
obvious technical control to prevent those breaches. As of now, I seem to
be the only person pushing for use of threshold technology, I am certainly
the only person who has build a Threshold Key Infrastructure.

I am getting some traction but it is slow. I gave the presentation showing
threshold was the way to address the Snowden breach in March 2017, the
Vault 7 breach was announced during the meeting. The NIST effort began nine
months later and might actually turn into a program March next year.
Meanwhile, Microsoft has delivered a minor, non threshold patch for their
CRM product.

I am very much aware that I am the only person who seems interested in this
problem right now. But as I pointed out on the CFRG list, I have deep
contacts in the mainstream media and I can make a hell of a lot more noise
than most. And my crypto isn't fake. So what are folk going to tell their
CEO when she asks them about the new technology they have just read about
in the NYT? When I had that job I made sure I could answer that question
every time.