[Cryptography] A naming and key distribution infrastructure for the Mesh

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Wed Sep 23 16:50:45 EDT 2020

On 9/23/20 at 10:18 AM, paul at cypherpunks.ca (Paul Wouters) wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Sep 2020, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>
>>So I don't want Alice's address to be alice at example.com. I want her to be @Alice.
>
>We have millions of alice's who want to be @Alice. It can't work like
>that. Look at a 12 year old who wants to get a gmail address. The good
>namespace is already taken and they have to come up with weird stuff
>that none of their friends can remember anyway.

It sounds like we're getting into Zooko's triangle territory.
The general solution to this dillema is Pet Names. A pet name
only has local significance. My address book is full of pet
names, which resolve to real email addresses, postal addresses,
and telephone numbers.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        |Security, like correctness, is| Periwinkle
(408)348-7900      |not an add-on feature. - Attr-| 150
Rivermead Rd #235
www.pwpconsult.com |ibuted to Andrew Tanenbaum    |
Peterborough, NH 03458