[Cryptography] Really good ideas, harsh reality, tailored covertraffic

Peter Fairbrother peter at tsto.co.uk
Thu Sep 3 17:38:08 EDT 2020

On 03/09/2020 20:36, Dan McDonald wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 03, 2020 at 10:00:16AM -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipsecme-iptfs-01
>>
>>     This document describes a mechanism to enhance IPsec traffic flow
>>     security by adding traffic flow confidentiality to encrypted IP
>>     encapsulated traffic.  Traffic flow confidentiality is provided by
>>     obscuring the size and frequency of IP traffic using a fixed-sized,
>>     constant-send-rate IPsec tunnel.  The solution allows for congestion
>>     control as well.

Haven't read it in detail, IETF draft language gives me a headache, but
it looks a bit like the US-USSR hotline - when it wasn't in use random
traffic was sent so an observer couldn't tell whether the traffic was
random-looking-encrypted-real or just random. The rate of traffic
was/is? constant.

> It looks like an attempt to reduce bandwidth waste.

If (it is not clear) you are referring to tailored covertraffic, that is
more effective in reducing total traffic.

To reduce total traffic the tailoring is done in such a way that the
covertraffic has a rate distribution and/or other characteristics
similar to the real traffic - so instead of just the real traffic
looking suspicious, all the traffic looks suspicious.

However it is not (necessarily) done at a constant rate.

There are some caveats and notes - the only way to be 100% sure that
traffic is concealed is to use a constant rate. However if 100%
confidentiality is not required then tailored covertraffic can reduce
traffic costs.

In the original application, a steganographic filing system, you can
under duress (eg a warrant) give up some real traffic, and an observer
can't say you haven't given up all the real traffic.

Probably doesn't work if the duress is torture, but against "beyond
reasonable doubt" it should work.

One thing I worry about,
> if IP packets can span multiple tunnel IP packets, won't end-to-end
> performance suffer under even mild drop rates?

This can be overcome by splitting the traffic into m-of-n blocks, where
the real traffic is split into n blocks using a block erasure code, and
any m (<n) blocks can reconstruct the original.

Not perfect, you still need a resend mechanism, but it takes more than
one dropout for a resend to be required. You can also tailor it to the
dropout rate by changing n.

Peter Fairbrother