[Cryptography] Exotic Operations in Primitive Construction

Christian Huitema huitema at huitema.net
Thu Oct 1 11:49:11 EDT 2020

On 9/30/2020 1:59 PM, Jerry Leichter wrote:
> It's not clear what other "exotic" operations you might use.  The only other primitive not in any of these classes I can think of is bit count, which loses so much information it doesn't seem useful.

Galois field multiply? Isn't that directly supported by some CPU? The
advantage over rotate, xor or ADD is "strong mixing". The result of the
Galois field multiply makes all output bits dependent of every input
bit. You could also get the mixing effect with multiply, then combining
result and overflow.

-- Christian Huitema