[Cryptography] Possible reason why password usage rules are such a mess

Sven Semmler Sven at SvenSemmler.org
Tue Nov 17 23:42:57 EST 2020

On 11/17/20 7:45 PM, Kent Borg wrote:
> First, why should we trust that the user's machine that it is running
> on is secure? People get infected by malware all the time.

I agree that this is a giant problem, but it's not specific to the
password manager. Once your machine is compromised a simple keylogger
will quickly render any and all password strategies (including writing
them down on paper) useless.

I have no general solution to offer. A reasonable approach for
technically literate users is Qubes OS, but it's not a solution for the
masses.

/Sven

--
 public key: https://www.svensemmler.org/0x8F541FB6.asc
fingerprint: D7CA F2DB 658D 89BC 08D6 A7AA DA6E 167B 8F54 1FB6