[Cryptography] The Truth Social Network: A Decentralized Social Network

btc_joe btc_joe at protonmail.com
Mon Nov 2 04:38:49 EST 2020

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Sunday, November 1, 2020 10:51 PM, Tom Mitchell <mitch at niftyegg.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 10:21 PM btc_joe via cryptography
> cryptography at metzdowd.com wrote:
>

> With social media like twitter and fb there is one durable copy of the
> content. <-- likely important.
> That has a lot of value when people change devices. A safe window at
> work (oximoron)
> a phone, a laptop, a chromebook. Family accounts.
> Then there is the lost laptops and phones problem ;-). [yes plural].

Also, it's important to note that publishing content entirely depends upon the ability to securely store a private key, which again I strongly believe will be a necessity of the world we are moving into. If you lose this key you lose your identity on the system. This is admittedly a big task, but if the laymen can not achieve this level of technical competence, they will not be able to self custody any significant amount of wealth in bitcoin. On the plus side of things, there is now literally a whole industry dedicated to making this task easy with hardware wallets, etc. My assumption in all of this is that problem has and will continue to be solved regardless of the existence of a decentralized social network.

All of the above is separate from the issue of storing/backing up your own content (standard practice for a website). If you just want to view content none of that is needed of course. Lightweight Addresses are sort of the middle-ground (no server needed).