[Cryptography] Improving MITRE's description for "CWE-329: Not Using a Random IV with CBC Mode"

Kevin W. Wall kevin.w.wall at gmail.com
Wed May 20 23:21:23 EDT 2020

I ran across this the other day when I was doing a QA of a vulnerability
assessment report. The vulnerability report references vulnerabilities via
MITRE's Common Weakness Enumeration's (CWE) project. The report uses both
CWE IDs / CWE title, as well as the standard MITRE CWE descriptions. But
sometimes those CWE descriptions lack clarity and could use a bit of
improvement. That's where I hope this community can help.

For "CWE-329: Not Using a Random IV with CBC Mode" (
https://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/329.html), the MITRE risk
description states:

Not using a random initialization Vector (IV) with Cipher Block Chaining
(CBC) Mode causes algorithms to be susceptible to *dictionary attacks*.

[Emphasis mine.]

And for the "Background Details" section, it states:
CBC is the most commonly used mode of operation for a block cipher. It
solves electronic code book's dictionary problems by XORing the ciphertext
with plaintext. If it used to encrypt multiple data streams, *dictionary
attacks are possible, provided that the streams have a common beginning
sequence*.

[Again, emphasis mine.]

So, after reading this, I am convinced that either I do not understand what
cryptographers mean by a "dictionary attack" or MITRE doesn't.

My understanding of "dictionary attack" pretty much agrees with the Wikipedia
definition <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dictionary_attack> of it, which
states:
In cryptanalysis <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptanalysis> and computer
security <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_security>, a *dictionary
attack* is a form of brute force attack
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brute-force_attack> technique for defeating
a cipher <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cipher> or authentication mechanism
by trying to determine its decryption key or passphrase by trying thousands
or millions of likely possibilities, such as words in a dictionary or
previously used passwords, often from lists obtained from past security
breaches.
Now by this definition, if one is perhaps using CBC mode with a non-random
IV and either an ASCII key or some password based derived key (say created
by PBKDFv2), then standard password dictionary attacks could indeed be
useful and a non-random IV may make this a bit simpler. But I am not seeing
how a non-random IV used with CBC mode will aid in *dictionary attacks* for
randomly generated secret keys.

My intuition (which, again, may very well be wrong) is that the biggest
weakness of non-random IVs is that it will make patterns more likely to
emerge in the ciphertext (sort of devolving into a wonky ECB mode in the
worst case), and that this would be especially true to those corresponding
to the first plaintext block that is encrypted. So it would seem that
rather than the concern being a "dictionary attack" (which again, seems
very unlikely if one were actually generating and using a completely random
secret key), the more relevant attacks for CBC mode and a non-random IV
(not necessarily a fixed IV, but in practice that is what we usually see
for non-random IV) would be things like various chosen plaintext attacks or
various types of chosen ciphertext attacks or possibly even related-key
attacks. (And a non-random IV may also simplify padding oracle attacks if
an Encrypt-then-MAC approach is not also used to ensure authenticity.)

Anyhow, long story short (okay, you're right, too late!) if I am confused
after all these years of reading this mailing list, then surely my security
colleagues are even more confused since they have very little cryptography
background in comparison.

So what I am hoping readers of this list might be able to do is to suggest
*better* Risk Description and Background Details sections for CWE-329
<https://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/329.html>. If anyone is willing to
help with that, then I am willing to take on the fool's errand of trying to
get MITRE to change it so it is more accurate and clear. I also am more
than willing to give proper credit to whomever suggests some better
verbiage. (After all, far be it from me to take the blame. :) If there are
several better suggestions, I will simply let MITRE know all of the
suggestions and who said what.

So that is all. You can help out the security community by coming up with
better descriptions for those 2 sections.

Thanks in advance,
-kevin
--
Blog: http://off-the-wall-security.blogspot.com/    | Twitter: @KevinWWall
NSA: All your crypto bit are belong to us.