[Cryptography] COVID: Design problems

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Thu Mar 19 13:14:56 EDT 2020

I am connected to a large number of groups looking on  grassroots response
to COVID. There are two design problems in particular that are of interest

1) Marketplace for PPE supplies

There is going to be a major shortage of Personal Protective Equipment
supplies for at least the next three weeks. At that point we can hope that
the government mobilization begins to meet those needs.

So we need to have an infrastructure to match supply and demand. What we
are looking at is a multi-layer system with a large public portal that
allows doctors etc. to advertise their needs which ad hoc makers can
respond to. This will probably be built on some existing platform.

This is of course going to require some level of vetting on the requests
and possibly responders. There is no time to do this in code so we are
going to have to use people.

2) Ending the lockdown

China has been able to ease its lockdown with a variety of technological
measures. People are using their phones to gain entry to places etc. And
this is used to track potential re-infection. We are going to have to
either adopt something equally effective or stay in lockdown until there is
a vaccine.

There are people with resources to write apps. But no design yet.