[Cryptography] IDs and licenses, not Possible reason why password usage rules

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Mar 7 16:28:04 EST 2020

On Thu, 5 Mar 2020, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Indeed, I have two valid driver's licenses for several months every time
> the license is renewed.  There's no "not valid before" date on the new
> license, the renewed license is issued in advance of its expiration, and
> since the renewal is by mail, I'm not required to surrender my old
> driver's license to get a new one.

Interesting; here in Oz we have to turn up in person and undergo an
eyesight test, but we get to keep the old licence.  There is no "not valid
before" date, but you get to laugh at your old photos.  Validation period
is one year or five years (you get a discount), with annual driving tests
after 80 or so (depending upon which State).

A possible security risk (from a health point of view) is that your way
allows drivers with poor eyesight on the road?

Oh, and licences (in NSW at least) are full of security features such as
holograms etc; we stopped using paper licences years ago.

-- Dave