[Cryptography] Possible reason why password usage rules are such a mess

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Mar 5 18:50:02 EST 2020

On 2020-03-05 16:37:31 -0500 (-0500), Jerry Leichter wrote:
[...]
> Meanwhile, if you've traveled in the last 5-10 years (I don't know
> when this changed), not only must your passport not be expired -
> it must not expire within 6 months of when you start your trip.
[...]

This one is a little easier to understand at least (and the minimum
validity timeframe varies depending on the country you're visiting):
they would like to make sure you'll be out of their country again by
the time your passport expires. Of course the country you're
entering will typically take the precaution of issuing a visa for
less than the remaining lifespan of your passport, but people
frequently end up having to overstay or extend an entry visa for a
variety of reasons, so making sure the passport is valid for a few
extra months on top of that helps.
--
Jeremy Stanley