[Cryptography] Terakey, An Encryption Method Whose Security Can Be Analyzed from First Principles

Peter Fairbrother peter at tsto.co.uk
Wed Jul 29 20:17:34 EDT 2020

On 30/07/2020 00:06, Arnold Reinhold wrote:

> On 28 Jul 2020 12:11 +0100 Peter Fairbrother wrote:
>

>>> The security analysis then consists of estimating the likelihood of a
>>> cypherbyte already known to the attacker
>>
>> Oh no no no. That might be your analysis, but it isn't the only analysis.
>>
>> Suppose I am the NSA and manage to tweak the PRNG to my nefarious means.
>>
>> Perhaps I can arrange that 1 in 3 selections is to a limited set of
>> terabyte bytes. After getting some known plain/cyphertext traffic I can
>> read 1/3 of the plaintext characters - enough to do serious damage.
>
> If the NSA can tweak my algorithm, they can make it emit rot13, or an
> apparently strong PRNG stream where they know most of the seed. That is
> true of any crypto system.  If I have somehow created the impression
> that I am proposing the PRNG be something that is negotiated between the
> parties, my fault for not being clear. I did not specify a specific PRNG
> because I wanted to consider ones that were reversible vs ones that were
> based on security primitives.  A Terakey system fielded would have a
> fixed PRNG.  If you like, the one specified in NIST SP 800-90A Rev 1,
> section 10.2, using a block cipher such as AES-256 or whichever block
> cipher is being used with key exchange mode.

The NSA tweak was just an example to get you thinking in the right way.
As were the chosen-key known-ciphertext attacks I mentioned, the second
of which can be done with *any* prng - just find a key which outputs the
same location ref as a location ref in the message to be broken, rinse
and repeat.

What is important is that you cannot prove that the chosen prng is
as-secure-as-random in this application - which you would need to do in
order to analyse the method's security from first principles. And as far
as I know that can't be done.

"Providing a reasonable approximation of a uniform random sampling" is
not enough for a proof of security.

Peter Fairbrother