[Cryptography] IPsec DH parameters, other flaws

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Mon Jul 20 15:05:47 EDT 2020

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020, Ben Laurie wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 at 05:15, Paul Wouters <paul at cypherpunks.ca> wrote:
>       And if it makes you feel better, once I investigated the history and
>       lack of justification of RFC 5114, which Steve Kent admitted to having
>       just forwarded from NSA/BNN to IETF without explanation, I pushed to
>       kill the whole thing. It's now dead.
>
> Not noticeably: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5114

What were you hoping to see there? A historic status? I'm afraid a lot
more time would need to pass for the IESG to do that. But anyone can ask
them to, you don't need to write an RFC for it.

Note, when I said "It is now dead", I meant for IKE/IPsec. I don't think
TLS ever saw much use either, but I simply don't know if it is in use
there or not.

Paul