[Cryptography] Statement from Attorney General William P., Barr on Introduction of Lawful Access Bill in Senate

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Mon Jul 6 19:32:23 EDT 2020

On 7/6/20 at 2:10 PM, bear at sonic.net (Ray Dillinger) wrote:

>On Thu, 2020-07-02 at 06:56 -0700, Henry Baker wrote:
>>
>>>Spread spectrum is permitted, if the spreading codes are published.
>>>Different digital encodings are permitted, if encoding is
>>>published. etc.
>>
>>Hmmm...
>>
>>What about HTTPS/TLS/TCPIP over ham radio bands?
>>

>Sure, I can see it.  Use Morse-code for the line-level protocol and
>hundreds of hams will hate you forever.

OK, I assume this comment is tongue in cheek. But I'll bite anyway.

If the higher level protocol is not encrypted this would be
legal. But, the reason for the other digital modes (Morse code
is considered to be the first digital mode), is that they are
much more amenable to machine decoding.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | When it comes to the world     | Periwinkle
(408)348-7900      | around us, is there any choice | 150
Rivermead Rd #235
www.pwpconsult.com | but to explore? - Lisa Randall |
Peterborough, NH 03458