[Cryptography] Statement from Attorney General William P. Barr on Introduction of Lawful Access Bill in Senate

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Mon Jul 6 13:56:50 EDT 2020

On Tue, 2020-06-30 at 14:23 -0400, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 1:54 PM Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com>
> wrote:
> > At 09:03 AM 6/30/2020, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> > >The Aurora shooter used kevlar armor to make themselves
> > invulnerable. The result was a lot of dead people.
> >
> > Hmmm...  So kevlar armor killed these people?  Last time I looked,
> > victims of 'shooters' were killed by bullets.
>
> It is my habit to be as precise as possible in my language. I said
> 'The result was a lot of dead people'.

Is it actually the case that this guy (sorry, I don't know the
instance) actually went on shooting people after taking some otherwise-
incapacitating bullets on his armor?

My expectation of kevlar vests against rounds of deer-rifle power or
higher is that they make a huge difference but it's the difference
between  dead and "probably won't die but will likely be knocked
down/winded/stunned, may need hospitalization, and will feel afterward
like he's been kicked by a mule."

In rather the same way that cryptography actually protects very little
of your privacy now that we live in a surveillance economy where every
large company is analyzing everything - where you shop, what kind of
dogfood you buy, where you get gas for your car, every word you type on
social media, where your cell phone goes every minute of every day, and
everything else they can get - and constantly cross-referencing it
against public records etc.  Maybe defensive crypto makes a difference,
but really, how much difference does it make?

					Bear