[Cryptography] Statement from Attorney General William P., Barr on Introduction of Lawful Access Bill in Senate

The Doctor [412/724/301/703/415/510] drwho at virtadpt.net
Fri Jul 3 14:38:34 EDT 2020

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Thursday, July 2, 2020 6:41 PM, Bill Frantz <frantz at pwpconsult.com> wrote:

> If you are using ham radio, using TLS (nee SSL) to hide the
> meaning of a message is illegal. TCP/IP is fine. HTTP should be
> find. HTTPS isn't.

SSL/TLS - Yup.  Illegal.

TCP/IP - Yup.  Legit.

HTTP - Also legal and legit.

HTTPS - Nope.

> One interesting bit here is that many hams are active in
> emergency communication groups. These groups are working in the
> direction of offering email and net access over ham radio. I
> think the just say lalalala very loudly when the issue of
> encryption comes up.

They do.  We ran into that at pretty much every turn.  "Identity theft by individuals
monitoring ARES/RACES medical assistance broadcasts" was considered acceptable risk.

The Doctor [412/724/301/703/415/510]
PGP (new, Protonmail): 4d7d 5c94  fa44 a235
WWW: https://drwho.virtadpt.net/
The old world is dying, and the new world struggles to be born. Now is the time of monsters.