[Cryptography] Statement from Attorney General William P., Barr on Introduction of Lawful Access Bill in Senate

The Doctor [412/724/301/703/415/510] drwho at virtadpt.net
Fri Jul 3 14:36:06 EDT 2020

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Thursday, July 2, 2020 5:40 PM, Sid Spry <sid at aeam.us> wrote:

> > What about HTTPS/TLS/TCPIP over ham radio bands?
>
> I'm unable to provide a direct citation but his outline of the wording is correct,
> they are disallowed because they are effective encryption. If you published the

This is also not a direct citation, but when I was working on an emergency networking
project about ten years ago, we approached the ARRL for advice when we were integrating
the ham radio portion (TCP/IP over AX.25).  Their response was "No crypto, not no way,
not no how, disable HTTPS immediately."  So we did, and added some extra code to disable
SSH over AX.25 at the same time.

> keys close to the time you began transmitting you might be able to try to skirt
> by on a technicality but the intent of the law would be against you.

I'm inclined to think that it would be necessary but entirely insufficient.  Unless
the keys were broadcast on the same interval as the station's callsign (or if the
keys were the station's callsign, suitably labeled).

> But you can transmit some attestation of message integrity.

Can confirm.

The Doctor [412/724/301/703/415/510]
PGP (new, Protonmail): 4d7d 5c94  fa44 a235
WWW: https://drwho.virtadpt.net/
The old world is dying, and the new world struggles to be born. Now is the time of monsters.