[Cryptography] ham radio and encryption

Bob Wilson wilson at math.wisc.edu
Fri Jul 3 13:08:00 EDT 2020

This discussion has probably gone on too long, but here are the defining
documents. "Law" in this case comes from congressional establishment and
empowering of the Federal Communications Commission. In general "Part
97" is what we as hams refer to for our permissions and obligations. The
most relevant part of the FCC's regulations, so far as I see is:

> Title 47: Telecommunication...
>
> PART 97—AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE...
>
> §97.113 Prohibited transmissions.*
> *(a) No amateur station shall transmit:

> (4) Music using a phone emission except as specifically provided
> elsewhere in this section; communications intended to facilitate a
> criminal act; messages encoded for the purpose of obscuring their
> meaning, except as otherwise provided herein; obscene or indecent
> words or language; or false or deceptive messages, signals or
> identification.

As others have pointed out, that phrase "messages encoded for the
purpose of obscuring their meaning" is what matters.

The "except as otherwise provided herein" has sometimes resulted in
challenges as new technologies came along. E.g. when sending images
perhaps as JPEG within something like the Winlink protocols for sending
email, or simply television or radio-teletype transmissions, someone
listening to the transmission would not understand the meaning but these
are allowed. Sometimes these new technologies have been controversial,
e.g. there were recent complaints by some hams about others using
compression and noise reduction techniques such as FT8. I am not  at all
a lawyer but I think the essence here has been that it is OK so long as
ways to "decode" a transmission are publicly available. Some of the
exceptions have been put in for things such as remotely controlling
satellites, clearly not considered in the original rulings!

Regarding the "to keep hams from competing with commercial carriers"
argument, there is this in the regulations immediately after the above,
and still within "No amateur station shall transmit"

> (5) Communications, on a regular basis, which could reasonably be
> furnished alternatively through other radio services.

Bob Wilson, WA9D