[Cryptography] SSL Certificates are expiring...

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Fri Jan 31 17:08:22 EST 2020

Forget the Y2K bug, "things" are starting to break as SSL Certificates start expiring.

Several authority certificates are expiring:
5/30/2020
6/21/2020
9/22/2020
12/31/2020

IoT = Internet of Expired Certificates.

Perfectly good HW, but with firmware that can't be updated.

I just hope that implantable medical devices can have their builtin certificates updated!

I wonder how many "smart" *cars* will stop running when their builtin SSL certificates expire?

Problems: bad hash functions (MDx,SHA1) are also causing certificate
problems even though the RSA algorithm -- even at 1024 bits -- still seems to be holding.