[Cryptography] improved identification of non-targets

Christian Huitema huitema at huitema.net
Sun Jan 12 20:31:15 EST 2020

On 1/12/2020 3:37 AM, Michael Kjörling wrote:

> A simple NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) closing the relevant airspace to
> traffic could potentially have prevented the PS752 disaster. Pilots
> already review NOTAMs before departure (or Dispatch does it for them,
> but it's ultimately the responsibility of the Pilot In Command to
> ensure it has been done) when selecting the route to fly; any airspace
> closure NOTAM would have been a huge red flag, especially if they
> included airspace near the airport's normal departure corridors.

I assume the Iranians were concerned that closing the airport would have
cued the Americans that there were up to something. Of course, it
appears that the American bases had plenty of time to get in the
bunkers, so closing the airport would not have changed anything in
practice. Then they also said that the flight path was over a secret
military base, and of course they had not warned anyone about the
location of that base. Little wonder that the Iranian civilians are angry...

-- Christian Huitema