[Cryptography] Recent factorization of RSA-240 & DLP

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Mon Jan 6 19:24:20 EST 2020

> The sum of the computation time for both records is roughly 4000
> core-years, using Intel Xeon Gold 6130 CPUs as a reference (2.1GHz).
> A rough breakdown of the time spent in the main computation steps is as
> follows.
>    RSA-240 sieving:  800 physical core-years
>    RSA-240 matrix:   100 physical core-years
>    DLP-240 sieving: 2400 physical core-years
>    DLP-240 matrix:   700 physical core-years
In the past, the real limit on factorization wasn't the very highly parallelizable sieving, it was the non-parallelizable, extremely memory-intensive matrix phase.  Has this changed?  I guess something has since they obviously didn't run this single-CPU for 100 years!  But there's still no indication of the memory requirements.

I guess I'm out of touch with recent advances in GNFS factorization....

                                                        -- Jerry