[Cryptography] how to detect breakage -- lures etc.??

Bob Wilson wilson at math.wisc.edu
Mon Jan 6 15:45:30 EST 2020

In the photograph of a KL-7 device, link embedded in
> https://www.cryptomuseum.com/crypto/usa/kl7

I am surprised by the "Confidential" markings on several labels. I would
expect the device itself to be classified much more securely than that.
I realize those labels are not official classification markings, but
they might mislead someone into divulging details that were intended to
be more highly ranked.
Or was all of the "more critical" stuff contained in removable parts
such as rotors, with some scheme to make sure their higher
classification was separately recognized?
Bob Wilson