[Cryptography] how to detect breakage -- lures etc.??

Peter Fairbrother peter at tsto.co.uk
Fri Jan 3 10:25:33 EST 2020

On 01/01/2020 22:31, Ray Dillinger wrote:

> So....  why did the stacked-rotor variety ever dominate over the flat-
> rotor variety?

The wiring between rotors is effectively a static rotor. In the stacked
rotor version it is all 1:1.

In a flat version, if I understand you, if it is permanently fixed to
something other than 1:1 it doesn't do much cryptographically
(Kerckhoff); if it changes per key - well, a rotor changes even more,
sometimes per letter.

I guess they thought 3/4 rotors was enough.

Peter Fairbrother.